A special thank-you to Harmony Marketing Group (Bourbon, IN) and the Plant Manager Mr. Mark Baumgartner for hosting our third quarterly Renaissance Executive Forum IN Project Management Meeting.
We started off with introductions and then sharing our Cool Thing Learned since our last meeting in February. Next was an overview of PMI Michiana, and how we can leverage the knowledge of our local Chapter to develop and improve our processes and leadership.
Our Educational Componenent today was a workshop activity to Find Your Why, based on the TED talk provided by Simon Sinek in 2009. I think this was a great excercise. I worked with the President of the PMI Michiana Chapter, and we came up with PMI/Project Management Starting With Why of “Improve personal and corporate outcomes.” It think that really resonates and is why I am involved and what this Project Management Forum is all about.
Next was an overview of Harmony Marketing Group followed by a tour of their facility. Some pretty impressive products and machines that handle a variety of operations. One of the main focuses is consistency, from the first piece to the last piece, whether it is a small run or a run of hundreds of thousands or even millions.
We ended our morning with a Round Table of “Marketing and Sales Approach.” Some fantastic sharing of practices and philosophies ensued. Thank you to all who participated to make today a great learning opportunity and networking success.
I help [target audience] do [statement of need or opportunity] through [differentiator]
I help professionals introduce, network and promote themselves in 20 words or less
I help [target audience] do [statement of need] + [statement of benefit]
I help job hunters tell irresistible personal brand stories that their listeners remember and respond to
I connect [target audience] to [something they want] through [differentiator]
I connect people to new opportunities using the perfect introduction in 20 words or less
I [transform/translate/convert a problem] into [something aspirational]
I make complicated ideas easy for anyone to understand and communicate
I help [target audience] [fix their problem]
I help people with something to say that struggle to say it
So, how did I take this information and personalize it for myself? See my three introductions below:
I help professionals improve their leadership skills.
I connect leaders who want to learn about project management problems and solutions.
I make complicated processes easy for anyone to understand so options for continuous improvement can be identified and implemented.
I connect leaders who want to learn about project management problems and solutions. I also help professionals improve their leadership skills.
We are in the process of starting a project management forum to share challenges and solutions to Project Management in manufacturing, construction, and IT solutions. Our next meeting is Thursday morning, May 25, 2017. If this sounds interesting to you, please contact me at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Do you have major Projects that are critical to your success over coming years?
Are some of these Projects over budget or late on delivery?
Could your key staff benefit from learning how other companies complete Projects?
While larger organizations, with larger projects and overhead budgets, can afford to organize a Project Management Office, we have found that small to medium size organizations are not structured that way. The peer-to-peer environment supports my Rip-of-and-Duplicate (what I call R&D) philosophy. Why re-invent the wheel when someone in our forum, or our member companies, has already experienced that problem/issue. Our forum format has proven successful in helping organizations solve issues with a direct impact on improving the bottom line.
Our quarterly meeting format, with each four hour meeting being held at a forum member location, will be structured as follows:
- Welcome & Networking
- Educational Component
- Host Company Overview
- Host Company Tour
- Roundtable Issue Discussion
Our educational components will be focused on Project Management Tools & Techniques, New Product Development best practices, leadership, business acumen, etc.. I also plan on developing a virtual location for collaboration in-between our quarterly meetings.
Had a successfull strategic planning session yesterday in Cedar Rapids for the PMI Eastern Iowa Chapter.
We revisited and simplified the Vision and Mission statements, identified core values, created a value proposition for the chapter, and developed four high level action plans. Below are the results of the Vision, Mission, and value proposition:
PMI EIC is a volunteer driven organization in the business of promoting the adoption, advancement, and success of project management in organizations. We are a focal point for transferring PM knowledge to our members and to anyone else interested in the practice of PM.
Vision: To be recognized as a dynamic organization serving the project professionals in the advancement of project management.
Mission: PMI EIC provides a forum for professional fellowship to promote the principles and practices of project management.
Our vision has 2 key components:
- Dynamic Organization
- Advancement of Project Management
Being a Dynamic Organization can mean many things. For PMI EIC, our focus is three-fold:
- Our chapter leadership is comprised of a diverse set of practicing project managers from different industries and with different organizational deliverables. This allows us to focus on solving varying professional and organizational challenges.
- We offer a variety of professional development opportunities through networking, project management fellowship, volunteerism, monthly meetings, immersive educational programs, and community outreach.
- We have fun. Our chapter programs often include unique experiences that not only help us learn about different businesses, but we celebrate their deliverables at the same time.
Advancement of Project Management as a profession is the objective of PMI, and as a Chapter, our mandate is to promote the discipline of Project Management in the Eastern Iowa area. This is being done by:
- being involved in Project Management Conferences/Symposiums
- promoting and supporting Project Management education/training
- sponsoring Project Management Professional (PMP) certification and recertification
- organizing a program of PM oriented meetings, events and presentations
- creating local student groups and other Chapters.
- Provide quality education and certification opportunities to advance project management competency.
- Foster the largest network of project management practitioners, stakeholders, consultants and educators in Eastern Iowa to strengthen the profession and its successful practice
- Advocate for the value of project management and the profession Numerous Networking Opportunities
- Access to New Skill Training and Courses
- Access to Scholarship Information
- Invitations to Monthly Chapter Dinner, Lunch, and Breakfast Meeting
- Ongoing Membership Support to Help You Achieve Your Membership Goals
- Professional Certification Support
- Professional Development Courses and Units
- New Friends and Colleagues!
- Access to National and Local Job Listings
We are planning to extend our collaboration with students and universities, creating special project management content and programs for the students. We are also looking to increase member interaction through a mentorship or coaching program.
I am doing some local consulting for an organization looking to increase the effectiveness and maturity of their major projects organization. Since this is a fairly young organization, we are starting at the beginning and with the basics – developing and institutionalizing Vision, Mission, and Values to start developing the culture we are trying to propagate.
Vision: To be the PREMIER projects group in XXXXX.
Mission: Improve the Safety, Reliability, and Capacity of XXXXX while minimizing impact to daily operations and the customer.
At XXXXX, we believe deeply in:
- Clarity- freedomfrom indistinctness or
- Integrity- soundness of moral character;
- Transparency- thequality or state of being
- Intention- theend or object intended;
- Morality- conformityto the rules of right
- Ethicality- pertainingto right and wrong in
- Respect- esteemfor or a sense of the worth or excellence of a
Driving Ambition: By 2018, we have demonstrated the success of XXXXX and are preparing to roll out our processes to the other six XXXXX locations.
Images of Success:
- Engagement of other departments in XXXXX
- Cohesive XXXXX Team
- XXXXX individuals have development opportunities
- Quality of life balance
Our brand promise: Successful Projects & Project Management